Thursday, November 5, 2009

Praise the Lord........the Packing Is Complete With No Thanks to Inertia!

I apologize for the big break in updates, but as soon as the packing was finished, I headed to Clovis with Molly and Jensen to spend some time with Mom and let the kiddos play with their cousins. I don't have a lot of access to a computer here, but I am finally able to give another update.

Our high class movers (did I mention that they are called D Lux Movers, the spelling of the name should have been a definite give away) did eventually have a driver show up for work and they arrived on Thursday to start the loading of the crates. Now, the weather forecast for last Thursday was 80% chance of rain, and yes, it was definetly raining when the movers arrived. Let me set the scene................the moving van that they rolled up in had the front grill attatched by a bungee cord, and the drivers window and passenger window were missing, yes missing, not broken or stuck, but completely MIA. So the 4 guys that came to start the loading had driven from Dallas in the pouring rain, with no windows on the cab of their truck. They were starting their day in a bit of a bad mood thanks to that! I had had the weather channel on all morning though to monitor the rain situation, and even though it was currently pouring, it showed that the storms were just about pass us and then it was clear skies from there on out. Of course, the mover's were wanting to just call it a day because they were convinced that the 80% in the forecast meant that it was going to rain 80% of the day, not that there was an 80% chance of rain! It took awhile for me to explain and get them on board with my logic and I would have assumed the rest of the world's logic as well! I finally convinced them that once they finished wrapping up what was left to be wrapped, then the storms should be past, and we could begin loading the truck without getting wet. Spoiler alert.............the rain did pass, and we were able to load the truck with even a little sunshine peeking through.

At lunch time, I had been really impressed with how efficiently they were loading the crates, and I thought that it would be a nice surprise to have some pizza delivered. When I called and placed the order, I was rather shocked to hear that it was going to be over an hour for the delivery, but what are you going to do. I went and told the guys to keep working, that it was going to awhile, and this just added to their already gloomy outlook of the day. Just as the pizza girl showed up, the mover's needed to open up one of the doors further back on the truck in order to get to some more crates to start loading. As I was signing for the pizza, I heard this huge BANG. When I looked up, they had started pulling the moving van forward without closing the door that they had been previously using to load, and it had swung into the brick mailbox. Gotta say, that is one solid mailbox though, because luckily, it just chipped off one small bit of one of the bricks. I decided to not say a word, and just finished paying for the pizza and went to set it down in the garage. I did notice out of the corner of my eye, that the moving van was now reversing up the court, and I naturally assumed that this was so that they could actually close the door that they were done using, and open the door further back, without destroying anymore of the mailbox. Wrong! I set the pizza boxes down and look up to see this huge moving van coming flying down the court, the driver had to have floored it, and then slam on the brakes as it goes skidding (let's not forget the streets are still wet from all of the rain in the morning) to a stop. I yell out what on earth is going on to a reply by the "supervisor" (I use the term loosely) that the crates in the back weren't loaded correctly, and they aren't able to get to them, so they were trying to get everything in the truck to slide forward as they slammed on the brakes. I was gobsmacked. Out of all of the ideas that their minds together came up with, they decided that inertia was the best alternative!!!!! Let's not forget, that the crates in the front of the truck have already been loaded with a lot of our belongings, and these are the crates that they are now trying to slam forward in the back of the van. I called a time out, told everyone to go inside and eat, and to think about a new plan to try after lunch. Shockingly, after lunch, they were able to use all of their god given strength together to merely push the crates forward. Why would I have thought that boys would think of that first!

I do have to say though, that I did watch over all 0f the boxing, wrapping and crating, and that they really did seem to do a good job at trying to make sure that things would be packed in tightly and well to keep them as safe for the travel as they could. They just didn't have a lot of common sense for other things, bless them. I am relieved that everything is now complete, the house has been cleaned and the keys turned over for the new owners. I felt a tinge of sadness as we finished everything up, but I was filled more with a sense of excitement about the new journey that we will be beginning and all of the new decorating that I get to do in a new house!

Mom came on Saturday and picked the kids and I up and John stayed behind to finish his last week of work on the F16. We are having a fantastic time with family here in Clovis, but I'm anxious for John to get here on Sunday so that this trek can officially begin. We will be leaving from Clovis Monday and that will begin the daily drive up north. It should take about 12 days and even though I know there are going to be trying times, I am really really excited for the trip. Hopefully while we're one the road, I will be able to update the blog every day or two, at least that is my plan, but until Monday, there probably won't be another post. I look forward to passing on our great adventures...............keep checking in!

1 comment:

  1. Heather, you have a wonderful attitude and outlook. You are right, this will be such a wonderul journey for you and your family! Wish Uncle Wayne and I were part of a caravan driving with you! :) Love you! Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete