Saturday, November 14, 2009

Wildlife and the Alaskan Highway

I only have a short post today as we had a great day driving without many mishaps. We actually were able to make it further than we had originally planned as we have still been blessed with clear roads. We saw so much wildlife today on either side of the road. There were countless bucks and does, 2 moose and even a little mink scurrying around. Thankfully, they all stayed off to the sides and none made any mad dashes in front of us! We also officially made it onto the "Alaskan Highway." Mile 0 officially starts in a small town in British Columbia called Dawson Creek, and I was incredibly disappointed not to run into Pacey or Joey (I realize that only some of you will get my lame joke, but it had to be done). The temperatures aren't so bad, but the wind is horrible, and I hate wind! It really makes the cold cut right through you. John finally decided to "take a break" and let me drive. Of course, he spent roughly an hour and at least 15 min. of the finally 2 hour drive turned around backward trying to figure out what it is that the kids want, or handing things to them. I also heard a few sighs that I think might have been directed towards my driving, or maybe I was just imagining them (yeah right lol). In all honesty, we really are having a fantastic journey with the kids and each other up to this point. It really has been nothing but enjoyable and we're hopeful that the next 5 or 6 days continue that way. Hard to believe that we are only halfway through this trek! We had a really early night tonight and are looking forward to what tomorrow holds. We are hoping for the weather to stay on our side as we really are making great time with all of the clear roads.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds so exciting (except for the icy road conditions, the windshield-breaking boulder, and the "flying" toolbox!). Thank goodness you managed to miss the debris left by the toolbox (or whatever it was).

    Uncle Bob and I spent 6 weeks in Banff many years ago (maybe 30?? My how time flies!). He was participating in a summer music festival. We camped all the way from New Haven, CT, to Banff and camped for a while there until we managed to find some folks who owned a bed and breakfast who were looking for some "summer help." So we finagled a deal where I helped with the B & B in exchange for a little apartment for the summer. It was such fun! Beautiful country. I'm so glad you've seen it --- you'll have wonderful memories forever!

    Drive safely!
    Love, Aunt Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it (Dawson's Creek). You are right, someone had to do it! :)

    Heather, everything sounds beautiful. We are so glad today was a good driving day. So sorry about the wind....is it blowing so strong that it moves your vehicle? When we have the severe tropical storms here, it takes everything you've got to hold the steering wheel steady to keep your car from blowing all over the road (or off the road):(

    Heather, before I go, here is one seemingly random comment. This is something I meant to say about 3 or 4 posts ago when you mentioned the Gene Simmons bus. I should probably leave it unsaid....but I just can't. I have held it in too long. Gene Simmons is the reason I won't eat shrimp anymore!

    Love you all! Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be your LAST post that included Gene Simmons, not 3 or 4 posts ago.....see how he affects me?

    ReplyDelete